Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Slavery talk and it's relation to the N-Bomb

Yo, this is how I see it. For reals, look at this passage and thinks to yoself bout how much sense this makes.
"'Yes'm, I'd like it, but we only had coffee at home."
"'You needn't say 'yes'm' in this house. We are not used to slavery talk here. If you like milk, I'll get it for you..."
Think about oppression and the continuation of the language of the oppressed. Granted, I codeswitch when it is necessary, after all, it is a show of respect and gains me access to other avenues of society. However, I do so knowing that I am adding to the endurance of an oppressive tool. The ability to speak street, slang, Ebonics, what ever you call it, enables me to enter communities that would otherwise be off limits. I gain an acceptance that can be compared to entering a Spanish speaking country with a good grasp of Spanish and a decent Spanish accent. Suddenly, by showing respect for the language intricacies of another I build a bridge for communication. However, that bridge is a one way bridge, it has yet to lead to someone else code-switching to meet my mark or my dominant discourse. Then again, I am not a classroom facilitator yet. Anyway, back to the quote, this was an attempt by an elder to break the youth of the oppressive language of slavery, a language that draws lines and enhances difference in society at large. I don't know if it is best to speak American English, I mean we all have different accents and variations, I think people from Texas sound like giraffes, I really like proper English or British English, but either way if we all spoke more alike we would have one less differnce. The elder telling the child to not speak slave talk, was tired of the slave days, and wanted to integrate. Slave language was forced, slaves brought from Africa did not speak English. They were forced to learn words quick without the ability to write.
My ramble is over
Thanks for reading if you did.
Rob

5 comments:

Ms. Behr said...

First off, I had no IDEA that giraffes sound like that!!! hehehe But I'm so conflicted about this type of code switching, because saying that Sandy is speaking like a "slave" is soo very negative. I feel like we have been told in masters classes to accept different types of home language, so that there is no opinion or negative conotation attached to it. Becuase if you speak like that in a classroom students will begin to feel bad about the way the talk at home (and then the way thier parents speak). I have no idea what I'm saying right now, so I'm rambling as well!

Mr. Wind said...

yeah it kind of requires the ramble because there is no one answer, through empowering and respecting the language that studnets bring to school are we disempowering them. I think that what I want to teach is the ability, blatently, to codeswitch. To show the students why and how. WHat it says about you and how to use "being white" as a tool that can be switched off just as you and I can switch it on and off. That is what I was attempting to get at, the students don't seem to be able to switch.

Mr. Wind said...

I don't think I connected my ramble to the N-Bomb will get to it after my morning Joe.

Ms. Behr said...

I agree with you, that they don't all seem to get when to switch it on and off. And those students who do use "being white" from time to time are heavly criticized. It's horrible, because knowing when to slip into "being white" can really help one in the work force among other places. I agree with you that it's a skill that really needs to be taught, but not like how Tempy tried to teach it. She saw being white as the ONLY way, not one of many different ways.

Ms.Mongan said...

I marked that page where Tempy told him not to say yes'm I constantly tell my students to use my name.Ms.Mongan,not mam or miss.the reason I do is becuase ,I explain this to them,that when you use a person's correct title it elevates you to that status.That person then needs to use your correct title.I agree it does come from slavery,slaves were not allowed to use a person's title.I think that it is the same as when you are forced to call someone sir when you should be at equal standing.I hope this makes sense.