Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The NCTE Jumpoff

I think I would have prefered to read the NCTE and the collected poems of Langston Hughes before Not Without Laughter, because I did not have the background to fully get into a plotless story about another time and a region of the country which I am not to steeped in academically. Mardi Gras and Katrina I get, but I just needed a plot, I needed an ending, the begining was amazing, and parts were great but as a whole I was torn. The first part of the NCTE guide which is written by a fan of Hughes, is very insightful as far as telling us how the works of Hughes can inspire our students to BE ALL THEY CAN BE. I wanted to learn about Hughes and get exposure to his work, however, Not Without Laughter was not the text I thought it would be. That's what happens when we have expectations I guess. The NCTE book is very insightful and does put the pieces together as far as how this is pertinant to teaching. Though I question the youth of today, in Buffalo, being able to grasp the time period represented, the historical references, the dialect, and lack of plot. I don't know if we are supposed to just read the section on teaching Not wihtout laughter but I started from the begining and I find I like learning about Hughes and Hughes' poetry much, much more than Not Withouth Laughter.

2 comments:

Ms. Behr said...

I agree with you that Not Without Laughter is not the first thing from Hughes I would have my students read. I agree with you that his poetry is so much stronger than this piece of prose, but I do have a new found appreciation for the book after reading NCTE too!

Ms.Mongan said...

Yes, this would be difficult for even high school students. I realized that his prose creates as his poetry does.It leads us somewhere,this book did not reveal it until Sandy was older.It would have been great if it started as a flashback.