Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Hope

Chapter 21, gives us insight into the sort of bohemian idea of racial mixing. The place called "Bottoms" outside of town was a place where "people of all colors came together for the sake of joy..." (p. 217). This chapter gets at the heart of the propaganda against mixing of races and it is streamed in from the churches. I love the metaphor that Hughes uses in this chapter:
"To those who lived on the other side of the railroad and never realized the utter stupidity of the word "sin," the Bottoms was vile and wicked. But to the girls who lived there, and the boys who pimped and fought and sold licker there, "sin" was a silly word that did not enter their heads. They never looked at life through the spectacles of Sunday School. The glasses good people wore wouldn't have fitted their eyes, for they hung no curtain of words between themselves and reality. The them, things were--what they were."
This quote will stick with me and my teaching. I love getting at the truth of the vale, not just church, democracy, freedom, family, trust, teaching, good & bad, evil, etc. There is a myriad of topics which require us to inquire further into our understanding of our opinions. One person's truth is another's lie. Also, I like calling liquor, "licker" it works, really it does. I am not so sure that with as much as I have struggled with this book, that I would teach it in its entirety.

3 comments:

Ms. Behr said...

The other thing that I find so interesting about The Bottoms, was that it's the only place where the races mix. Yet, no respsectable person would go there, so what does that say about the mixing of races? It's really interesting how he writes this section, because I know that it isn't what he (Hughes) thinks about the mixing of races.

Mr. Wind said...

Did I forget to mention my point, geeze, thanks Annie. :)

Ms.Mongan said...

Annie,I found that interesting as well. I was actually thinking about Janis Joplin's song "nothing left to lose"(yes,i know its really old)In it she says "freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose" the people of the bottoms were at the "bottom" of the societal scale.They did not have to discriminate as they were not following the rules anyway.