Monday, March 10, 2008

The black/white thingy

O M G!
I was reading along in this book on a delightful snow day, and I began to think about this paradigm of white and black. Because there really is so much racial tension in this book, and I began to think about how if you aren't white, you serve white or you act white. There seems to be no existence of purely black-ness. Except in the two characters who leave, Harriet and Jimboy. Harriet hates white people, and she refuses to work for them so she leaves, to find herself? to get away from serving white people? to just be comfortable in being black? She does leave with white people from the carnival so that might not entirely work for this theory. But what really made me think about this is in the chapter about Christmas, we meet Tempy (for the first time?) and she is described when she leaves as: "When she had gone, everybody felt relieved - as though a white person had left the house" (159). And she is described as having so much money and she buys Sandy this beautiful book, which he refuses to accept. But Tempy is not a part of thier lives, she is far away and considered to be "high society." But I just found it sooo interesting how she was compared to a white person, and that it caused tension in the house........ so I think as I continue to read I'm going to try and pay close attention to how being black is defined by not being white and visa versa............

4 comments:

Mr. Wind said...

That is a big subject to tackle. I am not so sure that we can define what being black is nor vice versa. What is it to be a dog, now that's of interest. Seriously though, I understand the inquiry and I think it will be a good way to look into the book, it helps to have something to look for especially with the lack of plot.

Ms. Behr said...

What it means to "be black" or "be white" is something that I question often, because of what my students say and how they insult each other. I find it so interesting what they define as black and what isn't. One student once remarked that Obama wasn't black, and I asked "so then what does it MEAN to BE black" and they couldn't really respond. But it's interesting because I agree with you that it's not something that can be defined easily, but the relationship between what it means to be black and what it means to be white is just as undefinable.....

Mr. Wind said...

I certainly agree that being white is not definable. I think that the clips from def poetry jam give us an insight into the structure that cause us to attempt to define blackness or the N-BOMB.

Unknown said...

How to Make Money from Betting on Sports Betting - Work
(don't worry if you get it wrong, goyangfc.com though) งานออนไลน์ The process involves placing bets on 출장샵 different events, but it kadangpintar can also be done by using the