Tuesday, March 11, 2008

"She just put us in back because we're niggers" (Hughes, p. 132).

All this talk of "nigger" in this chapter (XII, School) is really making me thing of the poets featured on the teaching literature blog. The use of the word nigger is appauling to me, now, after really breaking down the word the way in which each poet did (poetically :)). Although I previously used the term in a careless endearing sense, under certain social cercumstances, I have halted that practice. i thought that because I grew up in an all black neighborhood that I was entitled by entitlement to use the word. Likewise, I have been told by some that I can use the word with them, from time to time the term is used towards me in an endearing sense. It is a careless symbol of acceptance, I know prefer the terms BROTHER or SISTER on any day, which Hughes uses in later chapters and is a custom in the South. Nigger, symbolizes oppression, enslavement, and marginalization. Here we have the term used to describe the grandmother's kids as "a lazy nigger." This is in a sense taking ownership of the term, but you can also see how the term is associated with negative things like being lazy or being seated in the back of the classroom. I think this chapter could be very effectively used to read on its own, the first day of class in a mixed school. I was observing a class at McKinley High School last week and I noticed that even within the classroom the students were obviously segregated by race and gender. I was not surprised but I would want to facilitate the blending of these differences, a move towards acceptance. This chapter can be a discussion starter, similiar to the ones Gaughan used in chapter 7, for his female-male syllabus. I would have my students generate dialogues with students that may be sitting on the other side of the room. Just an idea.

3 comments:

Ms. Behr said...

I HATE THAT WORD! and it's amazing that i never thought that i would hear it, but one of my classes uses it ALL THE TIME!! i once had the chance to really talk about the word and how niggER vs niggAH is very different and one is less offensive than the other. but that is BS! both words, no matter how it's pronounced, whose mouth it came from, what tone it was said in, are HISTORICALLY LOADED WORDS!! it is a word that has so much hate and nastiness behind it that i can't BELIEVE my students would say it! About 2/3 of my students no longer use the word in my presence, and if they do i address it and they say "my bad" but the other third are horrific with it... I have bought the book Nigger to read, but due to Miller's class, this class, and just keeping up with planning i haven't had much of a chance to read it. But i feel like using that book, that really addresses the issues of the word could be helpful as well.

Mr. Wind said...

I previously used that arguemnet of the er-vs-ah and it makes sense and is legitimate, however, there is a lack of understanding of the historical dynamite loaded within that word under any context. That book is a book I have wanted to read for a long time hopefully I will, I recall it being large though.

Mr. Wind said...

I fixeded the time thingy, eastern works bettah in da east.
"To the East my brotha, to the East."