Friday, March 7, 2008

The Five Senses

Chapter VII, p. 85 Hughes writes: "You could smelll fiah, an' you could see it red, an' taste de smoke, an' feel it stingin' yo' eyes." He captures all five senses in one sentence. The beauty of it does not end there. He also captures the southern dialect with it's rythmic poectic quality. At times we see poets use omissions of letters like the "d" in and or the "g" in Stinging. It works both as a dialect and an art. This sentense transports me to many different places that I have experienced such a sensory max, however, it effectively brings me to the place that Hughes is describing as well.

1 comment:

Ms. Behr said...

I have to admit that when Hughes writes like this, I yearn for someone to read it to me. I just want to hear what is being said because part of me feels like we loose a little something by only reading it. Sometimes I do read it to myself and I find the language, especially when Hagar speaks, to almost seem like a song.