Wednesday, April 2, 2008

lets get plannin'

Aight, I think we really need to get started on this lesson plan, because I'm so busy I need to be two weeks ahead of my work, so here are my ideas:

i like the idea for sharing what "folk" means to people, because everyone loves to talk about themselves. but we need to figure out how to make it relate back to the book, so we could try and come up with two to three generic groups that all "folk" can fit in and then have each student be in that group. from there read a SHORT passage where all the different folk types meet and discuss how much their station in life affects the passage.... this might be too hard.

~ or ~

share one of Hughes other poems, such as the poem that Rob shared on the blog, and then read the corresponding part of the book from Not Without Laughter. We could talk about how Hughes struggle with the prose of this book, but his poetry is SUPER FAB!

i dunno, what do you guys think?

5 comments:

Mr. Wind said...

I like the idea of showing his struggles with prose and the use of that poem with that chapter is a really great link. We also talked about linking another poem to another chapter. When are we presenting?

Ms.Mongan said...

The ideaofsharingwht"folk"meanstopeoplerelatstothestory and tothepoem.Iwaslookingatitfromtheperspectiveofhowtoteachittostudentsinhighschool.Thiswillbe difficulttoread asthespacebarisbrokenonthiscomp!iminthecomputerlab

Mr. Wind said...

OK, group sorry I missed class it was unexpected. That said, I am ready to plan, to lesson plan. We merely need an outline of a lesson. We are using the one poem that I chose and we are going to use another poem. ANy ideas for the other poem. I know we are all very busy, too busy, but I will try to wake up early on monday to focus entirely on this lesson. Just post this comment thread, any idea, ANY, and whatever each of you have thus far. As well as concerns or disagreements. I will try to pull it all together to give us at least a begining point which we can past to one another. My email is Catskillwind@gmail.com if you need to email me anything. This next three weeks is going to be swell :(

Ms. Behr said...

That's kinda trippy to read without a space bar!
Do we want to try and find a peom about folk? where he explores this idea of folk? I have taught a poem of his called Freedom Plow, which is about the African American fight to get treated as equals.

I can try and find a poem too, but this weekend is a little hectic (I'm taking the content test and moving into the new house, but i'll try :)

Mr. Wind said...

it looks as though we will be a very last minute thing. My wold is collapsing in on me. why?